Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Why Does God Place Us Where He Does?

One morning recently I was listening to a Joyce Meyer series called "Alive."  She said, "Sometimes the people God puts in our lives are there because they have something you need."

I had to shut off the CD because I needed to think about that for awhile.  What about someone who annoys you?  It could be someone you work with, or go to school with, a neighbor, or even someone in your own household.  Why would an all-loving God intentionally put someone that grates at our last nerve in our life?  What could they possibly have that we need?

Well, it may be the experience that their annoying habit brings us.  If someone makes us want to scream just by entering the room, perhaps God is giving us this trial so that we will learn patience, or tolerance, or perhaps it's to show us we have a similar fault.  Maybe it's for us to understand that we, like them, are not perfect.  Who knows?  Perhaps we have the same negative effect on someone else!  Wow, isn't that a thought!

Maybe you are surrounded by peaceful people who love you.  What a blessing that is!  Are you still appreciating that peacefulness or are you thinking your life is dull and unexciting?  Would you trade that peace for mayhem?  I hope not!  What are you learning from that peace you think is boring? 

Dear Reader, our lives are gifts from God.  We should be living our lives for His glory.  There is always a way to grow in wisdom and to bring thanksgiving to our Father.  Every person, whether good or bad, funny or sad, smart or not, rich or poor, or healthy or sick, every one of those people that God has put in our life has something we need.  We can grow by accepting their differences with open arms instead of with trepidation and anxiety.  Why do we turn away from the person in the wheelchair?  Is it because we don't want to make them uncomfortable, or does our avoiding their eyes cause them to be uncomfortable?  Is it because it makes us feel uncomfortable?  What would Jesus do?  Would he see their infirmity or their heart?

Today, learn what you can about how you feel when you are around certain people.  Do they make you miserable?  Why?  What area in your life do you need to work on?  Do they bring you joy?  Why?  And do you turn around and share that joy with others?  All these things we feel are gifts from God. Let's grow today by understanding that through looking at others and how we react to them, we see a side of ourselves.  Do we need to forgive?  If so, don't hesitate!  Our walk is unique to each of us.  Even though we meet people in life who seem to be kindred spirits, and their experiences seem to mirror our own, don't be fooled, not for one minute do you process the places they've been or the things they've done the exact same. 

God made each of us unique.  There is none like Him, and there is no one else like you or me.  Celebrate your uniqueness today, and learn about yourself.  Become aware of your faults and your gifts.  Give those gifts away--your smile, your patience, your gift of listening, your time, your joy.  God will keep replenishing them.   And learn to love the unlovable.

© dft

"Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing."  1 Peter 3:8-9



8 comments:

  1. I've become pretty tolerant of people through having to face my own flaws. The only time I get really irritated is when I am driving and other people are either inconsiderate or downright dangerous. Humility is key, I think, and I have much to be humble about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we all?! Thank you for stopping by, Linnea, God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Deirdre, this is profound for thought. Just what do you see when looking at the person next to you? At times, I have reluctantly been in a wheel chair and can see the not so kind thoughts in others minds if you dare to be moved to the front of a line due to necessity. If only you can put yourselves in another's shoes for just a moment, has been one of my greatest lessons in life.
    Thank you for this post today. If everyone really hears you, it could change their very lives forever
    Blessings Always.
    Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Rosemary, we could all be changed and a LOT more forgiving if we only walk in someone else's shoes for a little while. God bless you my friend!

      Delete
  3. Deirdre,
    This is a wonderful topic. I find as I grow older I have even more tolerance for people who drive me crazy. I am patient with them because I could not stand to ever let them know how draining they can be for me. It's a gift to them --a silent one-- from me, because I can and do have the patience to put up with their idiocycracies--most of the time :). I also find many do not return the favor where I am concerned but that's okay too. Great post!!

    Micki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could accomplish the tolerance at a much younger age, don't you think it would make a difference? If only.... Thank you for stopping by, Micki, God bless you!

      Delete
  4. Deirde, some days I just simply cannot get to all the blogs I try to Follow. It is times such as today I am guided toward certain people. I would like to share with you inspiration that guided me toward publishing my first book. It came from one of my coworkers at the time who took time every morning to read what I had written the night before. I left little messages on her desk and she would always seek me out when I forgot or was late getting something to her. Here is her message to me that I give to you. . .

    “Everything that we presently feel and see moving and taking place in our hearts, our minds, and our lives is His gift to us. We know not what it is or where it is going, but He does and He gifts it to you . . drink in His goodness, savor and cherish every drop. He gifts it to me. . . I drink it in, savoring and cherishing every drop.

    Thank you for being His instrument of joy to me.”

    Blessings in Christ . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the blessing, Sharla. I try to remain aware of His all encompassing love when times are trying and trials are piling up. If I just keep saying His name I can rest in His peace. I drink it in, savoring and cherishing every drop! Thank you again, and God bless you!

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment and let me know if this post has made you think or helped you. To comment, just click the word Comment; even if it has a zero before it.. Please leave a message. BE SURE TO PREVIEW FIRST SO THAT YOUR COMMENT IS ACCEPTED, AND TYPE IN THE WORD VERIFICATION. Thank you, and have a blessed day!

On Name/URL tab, just type name (URL is optional)