Monday, January 16, 2012

What Kind of Tree Are You?

Look where this tree is growing!  It is surrounded by rock.  Except for the couple standing in its shade, it is the only thing in the picture that looks alive and thriving.  In the middle of nowhere! How is that?  How deep its roots must be to find enough water to keep it alive!  We are likened to trees many times in the Bible. 

I want to be like this terebinth tree.  I want to stay connected to the living water that runs through my roots and gives me life.  John 7:38 says:  “Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”

 I want to be strong and give shade and peace to the weary traveler.  I want to stand out as life in a world of death and dying and suffering.  I want to remain supple when the environment is cruel and rigid.  Psalm 28:8 says: ‘The LORD is the strength of his people,” and I know that as long as I keep seeking God and stay rooted in Him, that He is with me and breathing life into me, supplying my every need, that I shall continue to grow and bear good fruit.  I want to be what He has always desired for me to be.

I want to always know that God is my sustenance.  That the outside world does not control who I am or what I have.  I want to always know that if all around me is empty and desolate, that if I am the only one standing, that I stand because my God has fed me.  Let me remember, Lord, that although the world may be dying, I am prospering and growing stronger every day that I spend in Your presence.  "He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper." Psalm 1:3

What kind of tree are you?  Do you blow away in the wind or snap in the gale?  Are your roots weak and superficial, or are they deep and thriving on the word of the Lord?  Do you bear fruit?  There is no reason why we can’t all be like the great terebinth tree, bearing fruit and shading the weary soul.  Give more of yourself today, spend some time in the Word and feel yourself grow stronger and stronger.  There is nothing that can touch us when we are focused on the Lord.  Romans 8:31 says, “If God is for us, who can be against us?” Feed on Him, drink of His living water, lets all be like the terebinth tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment and let me know if this post has made you think or helped you. To comment, just click the word Comment; even if it has a zero before it.. Please leave a message. BE SURE TO PREVIEW FIRST SO THAT YOUR COMMENT IS ACCEPTED, AND TYPE IN THE WORD VERIFICATION. Thank you, and have a blessed day!

On Name/URL tab, just type name (URL is optional)