Friday, October 14, 2011

Book Signings!!

Alrighty!  Here I am on Wednesday evening (12 Oct 11) in the lobby of my church.  That is the first poster made for a book signing!  I am so excited you just wouldn't believe it!  This little book is bringing a lot of joy to so many people already.  You all know the story about how hard it was for me to wait for Santa to arrive with this big snow storm going on and then my Dad starts shoveling the snow, and how I worried that Santa couldn't come with my Dad not only still awake, but still outside working!  But the story has a message.  It is a 'feel good' kind of message.  God is so awesome, and the way He has orchestrated this book still makes me smile in amazement. 

It's funny, people now look at me a little differently because I am "a real live author!"  I know I have changed a little, I really had no choice.  You see, when God works in us, He does it His way.  "The right words will be there.  The Holy Spirit will give you the right words when the time comes."  Luke 12:12 Msg.  He brought back my desire to write and then gave me an assignment, this book.  I had to learn patience first, because I had no idea what I would write for Kindra.  Then I had to have faith that I would come up with something that she would like.  Then I had to have patience again.  Then I needed to keep away from pride.  Then I had to learn to trust (I am a perpetual student of that class!). 

I have enjoyed all the process of this book coming to life. The illustrator at Tate Publishing did a remarkable job of the illustrations from pictures I sent him.  The graphic designer put it all together so nicely.  The editor was great.  Then it came time to actually produce the book.  Oh my goodness, that was so exciting!  To hold in my hand the final proof (which is the book as it looks now, but I had to double check everything and send it back with my okay), was really amazing.  It was real!  Oh, how I hated to send that back!

Then I found out that because I am not a celebrity or an author with a recognized name, the chances of it being found on bookshelves all around the world like I thought were a pipe dream.  For now.  That will change, I'm sure of it.  Anyway, I found out that I would have to do a great deal of marketing.  I was totally unprepared for that!  So I got this web page, and I have a Facebook fan page, and of course there is email (thank goodness for that).  But that wasn't enough.

I have to do signings and readings wherever and whenever I can.  You see, time is very limited.  First off, the book will be released on 1 November to Amazon and I think the local bookstores.  I have ordered more books three times since the beginning of September to sell them on my own.  I have to be prepared to market my book.  Normally, boldness to do something like that is not in my nature.  But God is answering prayer as He always does and making it easier for me all the time.  I don't know when or where my first signing will be, there are still two weekends before the church signing, and I am trying for as many as possible!  That first one will be where I learn how to relax. 

The nice thing is that God had me write a Christmas book and not a book on a dinosaur named Dave.  That kind of book could sell anytime, all year long. This one sells big for this time of year only.  So after all the hectic running around for 2 months, it will be over and I will take a nap.  People like Christmas books, especially for children, so I am carrying one with me all the time and putting it on the table when I am out to eat, doing whatever will draw attention.  If it weren't so awkward, I would wear it like a lanyard!  That would certainly get people's attention!  I could get T-shirts, but I think that's a little much for me.

People don't have any idea how hard it is to market a book.  I had to become a business (Blessed Beginnings) because I have to collect sales tax.  Some people think that I am going through all this talking to attorneys and banks, and carrying books in my car because of my publisher not doing enough.  That's not the case at all.  If you are going to sell something you'd better get the tax for the great state you live in.  I had no idea that I would have to start a business because I wrote a book. Like I said, I just thought they'd stock it in bookstores and people would buy it.

But it has it's advantages.  I am learning things about business, making new friends and connections, and trusting much more in God.  I believe that my book will sell exceedingly well and it will break records.  Why shouldn't it, after all, it is blessed by God!

Have a beautiful day today, try and spend some quality time in His glorious presence, and please feel free to purchase a book or two. They really are cute.  The shopping cart page is  expected to be up and running in a day or two, so please come back!  Thanks again for visiting, and feel free to leave a comment.

©dft

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment and let me know if this post has made you think or helped you. To comment, just click the word Comment; even if it has a zero before it.. Please leave a message. BE SURE TO PREVIEW FIRST SO THAT YOUR COMMENT IS ACCEPTED, AND TYPE IN THE WORD VERIFICATION. Thank you, and have a blessed day!

On Name/URL tab, just type name (URL is optional)